Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Suck At Nantucket

The planned excursion for Monday was the island of Nantucket. Now, I suck at Nantucket. I have never been to Nantucket. The only thing I know about Nantucket was that it was the location for the 1990s NBC show "Wings".

Regardless, Karen and I decided to give Nantucket a try and hope that our sixteen month old daughter (Briana) would do well during the excursion. Plus, Monday also happened to be our friend's (Andrea) birthday. As Andrea wanted to go to Nantucket to celebrate her birthday, all of us including my friends (Marc, Kelley) and my BFF (Kerry) did our best to make her wishes come true.

In the morning, however, we did have a slight hiccup. We ended up taking the regular ferry over to Nantucket instead of the high speed ferry as originally planned. I personally didn't mind it. After all, it gave me time to work on my creative side. After all of us devoured an entire bag of Starburst candy, I decided to craft a necklace from the candy wrappers, complete with a Starburst wrapper charm. The Starburst bag itself was used to house the necklace (much like the box used when purchasing a necklace from a jewelry store). As it was Andrea's birthday, I gave her my creation. And to Andrea's credit, she did wear the necklace for the entire ride.

There was a lot of time to kill during the ferry ride. I still think it would have been cool to get everyone on the ferry to sing Happy Birthday to Andrea. Unfortunately, I could not convince anyone else to go along with my scheme.

Anyway, we split up once we arrived in Nantucket. Marc, Kelley, Andrea and Kerry headed off to the vineyard for some libations. Karen, Briana and I did the usual tourist activities. (For anyone curious, Marc, Kelley, Andrea and Kerry saw Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live fame at the vineyard.)

Although probably not as exciting as seeing a celebrity, Karen and I did the family thing and took Briana to Brant Point in Nantucket to see the lighthouse. The lighthouse was pretty nice and the beach there was great. Briana actually took quite the nap while at the beach. When she did wake up from her nap, she amassed quite the collection of sea shells.

Needless to say, Brant Point was nice and relaxing. We eventually met back up with the rest of the group later in the day, grabbing a bite to eat at a restaurant called Cy's. The food was pretty good there. And since there was some time to kill before the next ferry departed, we decided to take a stroll around the square. And yes, things like clothes are ridiculously priced there in my opinion, which is understandable since it is an island after all. I got a kick out of the real estate listings. There was one house on sale for $21.5 million. I'm thinking that after the 21 million, is the extra half a million really a deal breaker?

Anyway, Nantucket was very scenic. I would have loved to explore more of the island. Perhaps next time if I do get to go again, I'd rent a bike so that I could explore more. It seems like everyone has bikes there. Bikes... and dogs. The place seems very family friendly. I wonder if most of the people from Nantucket are in good shape from all that biking.

Regardless, I had a great time at Nantucket with everyone. But all good things must come to an end. Consequently, we took the high speed ferry back, which was also my first time taking the high speed ferry. The pros about taking the high speed ferry: comfortable seats, air conditioning, time saved; The cons: not many places to walk around especially when you have a curious sixteen month old who wants to go exploring. I must have walked the entire ferry at least 20 times.

As a side note, a random stranger stopped me on the high speed ferry and complemented me on my t-shirt. Apparently, the stranger got a kick out of what was written on the front of the shirt. My t-shirt read "No I will not fix your computer" across the front. The t-shirt was a present from my mother-in-law because she knew I worked with computers and was prone to being asked to fix all things computer related in the family.

Interestingly enough, it was actually the second time during the day that my t-shirt came up. It just so happened that when Karen and I went to purchase the tickets for the high speed ferry that the employees for the ferry company (Hy-line) were complaining about the computers. Apparently after they were complaining about the computers, I walked in... with the t-shirt, which made the employees chuckle.

Anyway, it was a fun day. I hope Andrea enjoyed her birthday with all of us. I know I had fun.

3 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, jordan shoes, nike free, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, air max, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, prada handbags, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

montre homme, air max, juicy couture outlet, moncler, iphone 6 cases, hollister, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, air max, moncler, vans, swarovski, moncler, parajumpers, timberland boots, rolex watches, oakley, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, lancel, wedding dresses, moncler, baseball bats, louis vuitton, toms shoes, converse, converse shoes, louboutin, canada goose, canada goose, supra shoes, hollister, ugg, karen millen, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, gucci, moncler, coach outlet store online, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ray ban