Monday, August 15, 2011

I Suck At Buying A Grill

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts had a tax free weekend this past weekend. In the past, Karen and I have generally waited for this weekend to make what is for us... a big ticket item purchase. This weekend was no different.

On the agenda for this weekend: buying a new grill. Now, I suck at buying a grill. Our previous grill had to be replaced because the knobs literally melted off. I have no idea how that happened. One fateful day last year, when I was cooking on the grill, I went to turn the knob that controlled the flame intensity... and the knob oozed right off. It was interesting.

Thankfully, my town recycles metal. In the meantime, I have been without a grill for what seems like an eternity. It has been especially difficult during this summer because Karen and I generally grill a lot of food.

Granted, I could have purchased a grill at any time since that knob incident. But for anyone who doesn't know me, I like to analyze things... sometimes a little bit too much. (Not to quote my favorite brother-in-law, but "that's what I do".) So naturally, I looked into various grills. And for anyone curious, my previous grill was a present, so I did not need to do any research for it.

For the longest time, I kept debating about getting a Weber grill. Every review I had come across mentioned Weber as being one of the best manufacturers of grills. The products are supposed to be well-built. The down side, of course, is cost. Weber grills are generally more expensive than other grills. I am guessing it is because of its quality brand.

And naturally, I kept my eyes open for any sales on Weber grills this past year. Unfortunately, I never found a deal. So with the upcoming tax free weekend, I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a Weber grill.

I decided to purchase the Weber grill at the local Curry Hardware only because they had the best deal going. They were giving an additional 6.25% discount on all items purchased during the tax free weekend. Plus, I had a $5 reward coupon that came in the mail. Thus, it only made sense to get the grill at Curry Hardware.

So off I went to purchase the Weber grill. Unfortunately, I came to learn that Curry Hardware actually assembles the grills on site. As a result, when you buy the grill, you take the grill right from the store already assembled. Normally, that's not a bad thing, because who really likes to waste time assembling a grill? For me, however, buying the grill already assembled was a problem because I drive a tiny car. As it turns out, even buying the grill in its original manufactured box would have been a problem for my tiny car.

Unable to find an able-bodied friend or relative who owned an SUV or a truck, I then debated about the Weber grill. I returned home to mull over the available options.

After much deliberation, I returned to Curry Hardware to get the smaller portable Weber grill known as the Q 200. The Q 200 may not have been the hulking stand alone behemoth like the other grills, but at least it fit in my car. And realistically, I don't grill for that many people. So the size of the Q 200 probably is enough for my family anyway.

And as it turns out, when I was putting the Weber Q 200 in the trunk of my car after the purchase, some random stranger approached me and complemented me on the grill. He was absolutely in love with the Q 200 and told me how great the product was. I thought it was pretty random, and nice at the same time. After all, it eased my mind to know that I was getting a quality product, even if it was not what I had originally set out to purchase. Of course, this random stranger could have been planted in the parking lot just for these occasions...

All in all, it was a good tax free weekend. And now I can grill again! Sweet!

4 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, jordan shoes, nike free, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, air max, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, prada handbags, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

north face jackets, nike roshe run, vans shoes, rolex watches, ugg boots, ugg boots clearance, north face outlet, canada goose, jimmy choo outlet, ghd, canada goose jackets, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, lululemon outlet, herve leger, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, p90x, babyliss pro, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, ugg boots, mont blanc, instyler, canada goose, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, ugg pas cher, beats by dre, mcm handbags, birkin bag, ugg australia, soccer shoes, canada goose uk, uggs, chi flat iron, ugg, bottega veneta, canada goose

oakleyses said...

north face jackets, nike roshe run, vans shoes, rolex watches, ugg boots, ugg boots clearance, north face outlet, canada goose, jimmy choo outlet, ghd, canada goose jackets, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, lululemon outlet, herve leger, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, p90x, babyliss pro, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, ugg boots, mont blanc, instyler, canada goose, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, ugg pas cher, beats by dre, mcm handbags, birkin bag, ugg australia, soccer shoes, canada goose uk, uggs, chi flat iron, ugg, bottega veneta, canada goose