Monday, December 6, 2010

I Suck At Making A Gingerbread Man

Friday was quite the interesting day.

Earlier in the day, I discovered that my garage door was not properly working. And by not properly working, I mean that the remote control was not opening the garage door. Naturally, my initial reaction was that the battery needed to be replaced in the remote control.

After replacing the battery, I tried the remote control again. Nothing. The door did not budge. Looking at the wall panel in the garage, I noticed the wall panel had a flickering light on it. So after rummaging through my tool bench, I finally came upon the instruction manual for the garage door.

Following the troubleshooting tips in the instruction manual, I tested the wires and the safety sensors connected to the garage door opener. There were no problems. Yet for some reason, the remote control was not working.

And as proof that sometimes parents know best, my mother who was over to watch over my daughter (Briana) suggested that I search the web. Sure enough, I found someone who experienced a similar issue. Turns out, the cause was that the wall panel in the garage has a lock function. The lock function apparently... locks the remote control from opening the garage door. (Shows you how often I use this feature.)

Somehow this button was pressed on the wall panel. So simply hitting the button again releases the lock. Yes, it was that easy of a solution. When I clicked the remote, the garage door opened! Yay! I guess I probably should have read my instruction manual a little more closely. Oh well.

Anyway, following my garage door incident, Karen, Briana and I went to a cookie swap. Prior to last week, I had never been involved in a cookie swap. And now, I have been to two cookie swaps in six days. Needless to say, the swap was great.

The cookie swap was held by someone involved with the Norwell Public library. With Karen being a similar member of the library group, she was invited to partake in the swap. And as Karen's spouse, I got to partake in the fun. It pays to be involved with the public library.

For me, it was a nice to meet other people who live in the town. I was not expecting much. After all, all I knew about the event was that it was a simple cookie swap at someone's house who was equally involved with the library. I was picturing a bunch of older women... with Karen.

Oh how wrong I was. For starters, the house was absolutely amazing. I don't know
if any words can describe how gorgeous this house was. And the host and her family were so down to earth. In fact, I'm not sure how their family does it. I have trouble with just one child. Their family consisted of seven children.

Interestingly enough, they would have had eight children were it not for the fact that they lost one. As bizarre as this sounds, I find it interesting when I learn that other people have lost children. Losing children seems more common than I realize (or television would have you believe). Having lost a child myself, I guess I find some solace to know that I am not alone.

Anyway, I was amazed with this family. Their children were all well behaved. And I must say, the mom must be like mom of the year or something. To say she is talented is an understatement. From the cookies she made for the cookie swap, to raising seven children, to making gingerbread men, there seems like nothing that his woman could not do.

Speaking of gingerbread men, I had the opportunity to make my first gingerbread man. Too bad I suck at making a gingerbread man. This woman had baked a gazillion gingerbread men and women and babies for all of us to decorate. It was... amazing. Like I said, I'm not sure there is anything this woman cannot do.

For anyone curious, Karen was excited to make a purse for her gingerbread man out of Necco wafers. My gingerbread man looked a little puffy. I covered my gingerbread man in mini marshmallows. My thought was to put a white puffy down jacket on my gingerbread man... to keep him warm. Sadly, it looks like my gingerbread man is the bastard child of the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.

Regardless, I had a fantastic time on Friday. I was not expecting to have so much fun at the cookie swap. I'm glad that I was able to be a part of it.

3 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, jordan shoes, nike free, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, air max, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, prada handbags, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

montre homme, air max, juicy couture outlet, moncler, iphone 6 cases, hollister, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, air max, moncler, vans, swarovski, moncler, parajumpers, timberland boots, rolex watches, oakley, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, lancel, wedding dresses, moncler, baseball bats, louis vuitton, toms shoes, converse, converse shoes, louboutin, canada goose, canada goose, supra shoes, hollister, ugg, karen millen, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, gucci, moncler, coach outlet store online, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ray ban