Monday, December 6, 2010

I Still Suck At Holiday Parties

Sunday continued my 128 North weekend. Having taken 128 North from Norwell to Salem for my BFF's (Kerry) holiday party on Saturday, Karen and I took 128 North again for our annual family holiday party (only this time from Norwell to Lowell). I can't wait to take 128 North yet again for my commute to and from the office in Danvers too. That will be three trips up 128 North from Norwell in four days. Fun.

As usual there is a lot to like about Lowell (or so the city will have you believe). Like last year, Karen's aunt (Denise) was gracious enough to host Christmas for the family. Denise had scheduled the family party for this past Sunday because it just so happens that Karen's aunt and uncle (Sandy and Billy) from Georgia were up visiting this weekend. Too bad I still suck at holiday parties.

As far as family gatherings go, it was an interesting get-together. For me, the highlight of the party, of course, was the annual silly swap. Although I must say, the catered food was a close second. I'm not normally one for deli meat. The roast beef, however, was quite delicious. (Cue Rachael Ray's "Yum-O" sound.) I must have eaten about a pound of it.

I got to unload my old hardly-been-worn high school band jacket during the silly swap. That's right. I was in band... albeit very very very briefly. My instrument of choice: drums. My fondest memories of my band days (among not being able to paradiddle on the drums) was sadly marching in one of Quincy's parade. And by marching, I mean bumping into the backside of my friend (Kathy) with a huge bass drum. Apparently, I could not march either. Interestingly enough, I think it may even have been the Christmas parade that I marched in. So it's only fitting that my band jacket be swapped during the holidays.

Needless to say, it was nice to finally put that band jacket to good use. I actually never wore the jacket while I was in high school because I had my track jacket instead. It was not until recently that I even got a hold of the jacket, thanks to my mother who was cleaning out her attic. Naturally on a whim, I jokingly wore the jacket to my friends' (Cass and Ellen) not too long ago. And yes, the jacket is a lot smaller than I remember.

Karen's Aunt (Mary) ended up with the band jacket. Aunt Mary is actually the younger sister of Karen's Nana. As far as crazy family members go, I would say Aunt Mary is up there. Mary is likely to say something crazy... forget... and then say the same exact crazy thing again... forget... and then repeat the cycle again and again. This was even before she needed assisted living.

I imagine talking to Mary is a lot like talking to me. So I suppose it's only fitting that she receive a stylish high school band jacket. When she put on the jacket, which actually had my name on the sleeve, it was like we were back in high school and we were "going steady". Hubba Hubba... Mary.

Anyway, it was an interesting family get-together as usual.

4 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, jordan shoes, nike free, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, air max, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, prada handbags, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

montre homme, air max, juicy couture outlet, moncler, iphone 6 cases, hollister, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, air max, moncler, vans, swarovski, moncler, parajumpers, timberland boots, rolex watches, oakley, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, lancel, wedding dresses, moncler, baseball bats, louis vuitton, toms shoes, converse, converse shoes, louboutin, canada goose, canada goose, supra shoes, hollister, ugg, karen millen, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, gucci, moncler, coach outlet store online, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ray ban

oakleyses said...

north face jackets, nike roshe run, vans shoes, rolex watches, ugg boots, ugg boots clearance, north face outlet, canada goose, jimmy choo outlet, ghd, canada goose jackets, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, lululemon outlet, herve leger, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, p90x, babyliss pro, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, ugg boots, mont blanc, instyler, canada goose, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, ugg pas cher, beats by dre, mcm handbags, birkin bag, ugg australia, soccer shoes, canada goose uk, uggs, chi flat iron, ugg, bottega veneta, canada goose