Saturday, December 8, 2012

I Suck At Christmas In The Square

I normally don't have big plans on a Friday night. Tonight, however, Karen and I planned on bringing our two year old daughter (Briana) and our nine month old daughter (Bridget) to Hingham for the town's annual Christmas in the Square. Now, I suck at Christmas in the Square.

For both Karen and I, it was our first time going and we did not know what to expect. I must say, the entire downtown area was flooded with kids. Absolutely flooded. It definitely was a nice family event.

Briana and Bridget got to see the Festival of Trees. Briana gave Frosty the Snowman a hug. And of course, they both got to see Santa arrive on a fire engine. It was a nice time.

Interestingly enough, Christmas in the Square was just a precursor of the loads of fun to follow on Friday night. After the arrival of Santa, we headed back to our place. By that time, our kids were quite famished.

My BFF (Kerry) soon came over to do a spontaneous craft day of sorts. Now, I've never been into crafts. But I must say, craft night tonight was a blast. In fact, the crafting ended some time after midnight.

Apparently, Kerry and Karen had the idea of creating wreaths made with coffee filters. They had come upon the idea and felt like trying it out. So for most of the night, the two of them folded coffee filters and hot glued them to rings.

For Kerry, this may be the craft to end all crafts. I'm not sure if she'll craft again after tonight. After all, she initially had troubles with her crafting project. But through rugged determination and many hot glue burns, she managed to forge ahead and finish it. The wreath actually came out very nicely when it was completed.

When all was said and done, the crafting project took over four hours. For me, it was just a blast hanging out with Kerry and talking about random things... like recounting how Kerry knows the password to our security system. Other topics came up too, like fake versus real Christmas trees, her Christmas party, fundraising for the library, family and Facebook.

Anyway, I had a lot fun tonight... and I don't even craft.